
Iran’s participation in the rapidly approaching FIFA World Cup remains an uncertainty, despite the fact that their national team qualified back in March 2025.
The ongoing war in the nation, following initial attacks by the U.S. and Israel in late February, has left their soccer federation unwilling to commit to participating in the tournament this summer, especially with all of their group matches scheduled to be held in America.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has remained defiant throughout in his belief that Iran will participate in the tournament, reiterating as much during last month’s FIFA Congress in Vancouver, Canada. This prompted U.S. President Donald Trump to label Infantino “a piece of work” when speaking with reporters in the Oval Office.
-
Wrexham post-season report: 10 key takeaways after Premier League dream cruelly evaporates
-
FIFA urged to take action regarding ‘heat risks’ ahead of World Cup
FIFA President Gianni Infantino stated in April that Iran would participate in the upcoming World Cup -Credit:Luiza Moraes – FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images
Conspicuous in their absence from the Congress, however, were delegates from the Iranian soccer federation, including President Mehdi Taj. They were turned away at the Canadian border due to Taj’s previous ties with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
This led Taj and Co. to meet separately with FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom in Istanbul, Turkey, on Saturday.
According to Reuters, Grafstrom said afterward, “We’ve had an excellent meeting and constructive meeting together with the Iran FA. We’re working closely together and looking very much forward to welcoming them in the FIFA World Cup.”
While Grafstrom was outwardly optimistic, he refused to delve deeper into the visa issues regarding Iranian players/staff, with Taj having previously said these had yet to be issued.
To listen to the latest episode of ‘All Out Soccer’ – CLICK HERE
What’s more, ahead of the meeting, Taj told state news agency IRNA that he would be looking for assurances regarding the 10 conditions they had requested in order to participate in the tournament – something Taj hinted at following the meeting.
“I am pleased that they listened to Iran’s points, all 10 points that we had raised, and they offered solutions for each of them,” he said. “I hope, God willing, that our national team can go to the World Cup without any problems and achieve very good results there.”
However, Grafstrom kept his cards close to his chest when it came to Iran’s visa issues, simply stating, “We’ve discussed all relevant matters, but I think it’s not the place to discuss the details. Overall, a very positive meeting and we’re looking forward to continuing the dialogue.”
As things stand, the Iranian team will have arrived in Turkey on Monday to continue their training, with the plan being to travel to Arizona early next month where they’ll set up base camp at Tuscon’s Kino Sports Complex.
Should they end up participating, Iran would begin its campaign in Group G on June 15 against New Zealand at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. Next up at the home of the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams and Chargers would be Belgium on the 21, before travelling to Seattle, Washington, to take on Egypt at Lumen Field on the 26.








